Situated in a prominent position at the west end of Selby’s main street, Gowthorpe, with 120 moveable seats, adaptable staging, and a professional sound and lighting system, Selby Town Hall is one of the most flexible venues in North Yorkshire.
The hall was originally built in 1862 as a Methodist Chapel. It ceased to be used as a place of worship in August 1956 and for many years was used as a tyre depot. In 1992 the building was purchased by Selby Town Council and was fully restored. The building re-opened in 1996 and houses the Town Council offices above, a meeting room with kitchen facilities, and the main Town Hall performance space. Toilets are available and ramps to the entrance. There is a balcony with 40 seats available. In 2012 it celebrated it’s 150th Birthday – see the pictures below from the event.
The impressive main hall has been the venue for a wide variety of arts events over the recent past, particularly during the past four years. A varied programme of events, including comedy, music, dance, drama and exhibitions has been held, aided by Arts Council England. The Town Hall was awarded the Yorkshire Evening Post Best Live Venue award in 2006. Recently a wedding reception has been held in the Town Hall – picture on the attached link:
To book the town hall and/or the studio complete the town hall room booking form and return to the Town Council office by email or via the post.
Further information on events held at the Town Hall can be found by visiting www.selbytownhall.co.uk
At the rear of the Town Hall Building is a room, known as the Studio. This can be rented for meetings or functions, it has a small kitchen with crockery available and holds up to 40 people. There are tables and chairs available for meetings. There are toilets, including disabled facilities. There is a ramp which leads to the back door entrance.
The Town Hall has a small car park to the side of the main building and gardens.